emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1

From: Chris Swoyer
Subject: emacs for Mac OS 10.3.1
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:18:55 -0600

I'm a new mac user with a powerbook running OS X 10.3.1 (panther),
with X-windows, and the xcode stuff, and fink.

I need a version of emacs that has a good graphical interface,
interacts well with \LaTeX{} and auctex and reftex, allows tex
commands from within emacs, etc. (the version that shipped
with the OS is not at all up to this).

I've looked at enhanced carbon emacs, but it doesn't work with
panther yet. There is another version, via fink, emacs21-xaw3d
(also tried emacs32-nox), but I can't get my mac to build them; it
grinds for a long time and prints a lot of stuff to screen, but
always ends with "fatalerror 10".  I then tried to install the
binary version but get a message about unmet dependencies
involving ncurses.

Is there a tamer binary version of
emacs21-xaw3d out there anywhere (I need it sooner than I'll figure
out how to compile it) or a version of carbon emacs that now runs
on panther? Or some third possibility?

While I'm asking, what are the pluses and minuses of carbon
emacs and emacs21-xaw3d.

Thanks,
CS