Re: Emacs from CVS question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs from CVS question
Date: 30 Nov 2003 08:20:32 +0200

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:56:58 -0600
>
> 1.  The Emacs splash screen seems to be missing (I have a different
>     build obtained through the Fink Project which does present the
>     splash screen, v. 21.2.something)

If you invoke Emacs with no arguments, you will see it.  If it still
doesn't appear, try "emacs -q".

> 3.  CVS provides Gnus 5.9 rather than 5.10.

The Emacs CVS has the version of Gnus that the Gnus maintainers commit
to the Emacs CVS.  If you think it's time for a newer Gnus to become
part of the Emacs CVS, please talk to the Gnus maintainers and ask
them to do that.

> 7.  In /usr/local/bin both emacs and emacs-21.3.50 were installed and
>     appear to be identical- same size, date and when launched both
>     provided teh same version information.  Why was this- something I
>     did with the installation?

These file `emacs' should be actually a hard link to the file
`emacs-21.3.50' (assuming OS X supports them--I have no idea if it
does), so that you are looking at 2 different names for the same file.

This is how Emacs is built on every other platform.  The intent is
that when you install a newer version, `emacs' gets linked to it,
while the older version is left behind, in case you want to downgrade
to it later.  In other words, it's a feature.