Re: apropos apropos [was: how do i find out the platform emacs runs on?]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: apropos apropos [was: how do i find out the platform emacs runs on?]
Date: 30 Nov 2003 08:53:26 +0200

> From: Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:50:33 +0000
>
> > Help->Search Documentation from the menubar could be one way to find
> > out.
>
> OK.  I don't actually have a menubar (on a Linux console), but I suppose
> that's my problem these days.  :-)

You can still ``see'' the menu bar via M-`.

It's probably time to move this discussion to emacs-devel@gnu.org.

> Incidentally, on the manual page "Help", the first item in the menu is:
>
> * Help Summary::        Brief list of all Help commands.
>
> However, on the "Help Summary" page, there is no mention of M-x
> apropos-variable and friends.

That section only lists the "C-h" commands.

The text before the menu you referred to describes the recommended
way of finding the information efficiently.  The various `apropos-*'
commands are listed in the node "Apropos" (reachable via the menu
mentioned above).