Re: Emacs from CVS question

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: Emacs from CVS question
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:30:06 GMT

On 2003-11-29, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
> 4.  The Xaw3d toolbars are missing from my build of 21.3, but are
>     present in the 21.2 build from fink.  My impression was that this
>     should have been included in the build automagically, but wasn't.

If you look at the fink .info file for whatever 21.2 build you're
running can see what options were used to build it.  Look at the value
of ConfigureParameters.

For instance emacs21-xaw3d.info in the unstable tree has this:

ConfigureParams: --with-x --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-gif \
 --infodir='${prefix}/share/info' --mandir='${prefix}/share/man'\
 --libexecdir='${prefix}/lib'

The only difference between the xaw3d info and the other x11 emacs
info is that the latter also includes --without-toolkit-scroll-bars.

NB: it's NOT a good idea to build software outside of fink that has
dependencies on fink-provided packages like xaw3d (not impossible but
not a good idea).  If you want to install xaw3d via fink, then you
should build your emacs 21.3 with fink.  Or, if you really think it's
a good idea to install into /usr/local (I don't), handle all the
non-standard dependencies that way as well, including xaw3d.  Don't
mix them.

> 5.  The Option key works as META in Carbon but not in X11 (I think
>     that may be a problem with XDarwin or OroborOSX, since the Option
>     key works as META in Terminal).

I haven't used XDarwin.app in a long time now, but this sounds like an
.Xmodmap thing.  With X11.app my ~/.Xmodmap looks like this:

clear mod1
keycode 66 = Meta_L
keycode 63 = Mode_switch
add mod1 = Meta_L

This is with the Pro keyboard.  The result is that option/alt is my
meta key and command/apple is my alt key in X11.

> 6.  The Carbon build is HUGE- 95 MB!  Can this be slimmed down?

Mine is 15.6MB for emacs itself -- less than half the size of the X11
build (36.7MB).  Where are you seeing 95MB?