Re: hooks and mail

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: hooks and mail
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:50:46 -0700

Guldo K wrote:
> Franc,ois Fleuret <francois.fleuret@inria.fr> writes:
>>>(add-hook 'vm-mail-hook
>>>  '(lambda()
>>>    (setq mail-default-reply-to "me@host.xyz")
>>>  )
>>>
>>I guess you should remove the ' before the function definition (at
>>least I dont have it in my own hook definitions).

Yes, lambda is self-quoting.

> It does not work.
>
> In fact, what I'm trying to achieve is: set reply-to to the active
> user-mail-address, whenever I start composing a new message.  (or a
> reply, or a follow-up) So that if I change user-mail-address while vm
> is open, and then I compose a new message, this new message has
> already a right reply-to field in its header.

It might be that since vm-mail-hook is run after the composition buffer
is created, it is too late to specify mail-default-reply-to for the
intended effect.  How about this instead:

(defadvice vm-mail-internal (before mail-default-reply-to activate)
  "Set `mail-default-reply-to' to `user-mail-address'."
  (setq mail-default-reply-to user-mail-address))

--
Kevin Rodgers