GNU Emacs, CVS, DOS and Unix

From: Frank Schacherer
Subject: GNU Emacs, CVS, DOS and Unix
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:53:49 +0100

Hi there,

I have a problem I have not been able to handle with browsing newsgroups
and reading the manuals.
My Problem: somewhere between Emacs, CVS and Samba, when I check my
files in

(1) there is a newline conversion, appending ^M
(2) the file privileges get changed, causing script files to lose their
executable status

I can remove the ^M's (and save) or not, when I refresh cvs-status,
PCL-CVS claims that the file is Up-To-Date.
I would like the file and it's rights to stay unchanged. I just can not
figure out where between Win-Emacs and it's CVS mode, Samba and CVS the
Problem lies, and how to stop it.

I am using the Windows port of GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195),
together with PCL-CVS (which I do not know how to determine the Version
of).
I connect to a CVS 1.11.2 installation on a Redhat9 linux machine, which
I access via pserver. This CVS server has no fancy wrapper functions or
anything, it is more or less freshly installed out of the distribution.
The files I use are on a linux machine to which I have access via Samba,
and are Unix type files (I use C-x RET f unix to force Emacs to save
them as Unix files, and have Emacs set up to create Unix files for new
ones).

Any help would be appreciated!
Friendly Greetings
Frank

Dr. Frank Schacherer
<frank.schacherer(a)memorec.com> (Replace the (a) with @ for mailing.)
Memorec Biotec GmbH, a Miltenyi Biotec company
Stoeckheimer Weg 1, 50829 Koeln
phone +49 221 95048 308   fax +49 221 95048 144