Re: Default coding system ?

From: François Fleuret
Subject: Re: Default coding system ?
Date: 05 Dec 2003 17:35:04 +0100

Hi people,

Eli Zaretskii wrote on 03 Dec 2003 17:38:43 MET:

> Please tell when Emacs asks these questions.  They are generally
> asked only when Emacs needs to write text to a file or send it to
> another process.

It seems to happen when shell-command-to-string is called (I have a
function somewhere which invokes lynx to decode html embedded in mails
... I guess I should have done something cleaner in the first place)

> Why didn't you select the only encoding suggested by Emacs, which is
> UTF-8?

My original post is not very clear. The problem is that I'd like this
encoding choice to be done by default. And I do not have the slightest
idea what is the standard variable to set to specify that.

> The manual doesn't bite, you know.

YES IT DOES!

But please note that I do not blame emacs or the documentation in any
way. Terminal and key encoding in general are (in my opinion) the
expression of the dark side in the beautiful and harmonious world of
unix.

Regards,

--
François Fleuret