emacs for Max OS X.3

From: Chris Swoyer
Subject: emacs for Max OS X.3
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:10:31 -0600

I have installed the recent build of Emacs 21.3.50.1 from
www.mindlube.com to run on my powerbook under panther. But it
freezes when I try to run tex from its deopdown menu and some of
the options (I think) I should have (e.g., dvips) don't show up on
the menu). I renamed the file dot-emacs.el .emacs, but I've done
somethhing wrong. On startup I get the message:

  An error has occurred while loading `/Users/fswoyer/.emacs':

  Symbol's value as variable is void: darwinp

And I don't get the auctex and reftex functionality.

Thanks for any help (including letting me know of a more
appropriate news group if there is one).

Chris