Re: emacs suspension

From: Michelle Roderick
Subject: Re: emacs suspension
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:47:33 -0700

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote in message
jwv4qw9pdy5.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@vor.iro.umontreal.ca">news:jwv4qw9pdy5.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@vor.iro.umontreal.ca...
> > I changed my buffer size to:
>
> > (setq font-lock-maximum-size 524288)
>
> That does not change the buffer size.  What gave you the impression that
> your problem is related to font-lock?  Does the problem disappear if
> font-lock is turned off?

I didn't know why emacs was taking so long to load this file and also it was
suspending (the problem I'm currently inquiring about).  So I did a search
on emacs and fontifying.  It looks like emacs is fontifying this file which
is a perl script.  The search mentioned increasing this font-lock parameter
to handle larger files sizes.  I didn't know if this would or was suppose to
help with the suspension problem.  Thus is why I brough it up here.

> > and it still locks up.  Has anybody had this problem???
>
> It could simply be hitting a bad regexp that has an exponential behavior.
> Setting debug-on-quit to t and hitting C-g during the hang might help
> figure out what's going on.

I will try to play with the debug.  Also the next time it suspends I'll just
post the results of the "top" command.  Hopefully this will provide more
information.

Michelle