Re: emacs suspension

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs suspension
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:56:33 GMT

> I didn't know why emacs was taking so long to load this file and also it was
> suspending (the problem I'm currently inquiring about).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "suspending" (it normally means
to stop working by relinquising the CPU, like when you hit C-z or when
you close a laptop).

> So I did a search on emacs and fontifying.

That still does not explain why "fontifying".  Was it just a strange gut
feeling or was there some indication that it was related ?

> It looks like emacs is fontifying this file which
> is a perl script.  The search mentioned increasing this font-lock parameter
> to handle larger files sizes.  I didn't know if this would or was suppose to
> help with the suspension problem.  Thus is why I brough it up here.

It only changes the maximum file size past which fontification is
turned off.  And by default in Emacs-21, jit-lock is turned on in which
case font-lock-maximum-size is ignored anyway.

>> > and it still locks up.  Has anybody had this problem???
>>
>> It could simply be hitting a bad regexp that has an exponential behavior.
>> Setting debug-on-quit to t and hitting C-g during the hang might help
>> figure out what's going on.

> I will try to play with the debug.

What is the major-mode used for this file ?
Can you try the M-: (setq debug-on-error t) RET and then use C-g ?

> Also the next time it suspends I'll just post the results of the "top"

Nah, the output of "top" is just useless.

        Stefan