Re: Emacs on OS X Panther

From: Sören Vogel
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X Panther
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:21:40 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Wrong newsgroup.

Oops. So, again:

Hi,

recently I've downloaded Mac-Emacs Version 21.3.50.1 from http://www.mindlube.com/products/emacs/. It installed fine on my iBook OS X 10.3 (Panther). Meanwhile, I could convince it to accept German Umlaute characters type and display correctly (many thanks to Patrick Gundlach) by adding these two lines into my .emacs:

(set-keyboard-coding-system 'mac-roman)
(custom-set-variables
'(default-frame-alist (quote ((tool-bar-lines . 0) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (font . "-etl-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-mac")))))

To make it short, sometimes when opening files edited with BBEdit 7 it falls to it's old strange behavior with neither displaying nor accepting German Umlaute types ;-(. Then, characters like öäüß (oau with double dots above and SS) are display with upgrave, promille, cyrillic comma and ligatur fl or even squares and other embarrassing stuff.

For four days now, I've been googling around to find an infinitive solution to keep Emacs working alright -- meaning with all types of character sets, but there was nothing to be find. In fact, I don't even have an idea what the error is. The help inside Emacs or some howtos around are somewhat spanish to me since there seem to be lots of options to set up, e.g. font, kbd-layout, text-encoding etc. I wasn't able to sample all this stuff into one solution sheet, moreover, I wasn't able to understand most of them.

Could anyone post some hints from his/her .emacs file or run several diagnostics with me? I plan to create a sheet on my website to describe how other can setup their Emacs on Mac alright, that is ;-).

Thanks, Sören from Germany

PS: Would be nice if replied via email, too ;-).

--
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sovo
soeren.vogel@phil.tu-chemnitz.de