Re: GNU.org is down

From: Bob Nelson
Subject: Re: GNU.org is down
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 04:07:53 GMT

David Steuber <david.steuber@verizon.net> wrote:
> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>> What kind of people gleefully cause a considerable permanent damage to
>> a charity instead of elsewhere "just" for the hope of monetary gains?
>> I hope that they are found and dealt with in proportion to their
>> crime and the impact it will have.

> The kind of people who deserve a disproportionately harsh punishment.

That type of attitude does not imply one of tolerance and understanding.
It conveys an absolutist view of ``good'' and ``evil'' and ``right'' and
``wrong''.

Rather than seek ``harsh punishment'' for those involved, it's more
constructive to become aware of the motivation that led to the deed.
Perhaps GNU needs to better covey its ideals.

- Remember, by less-enlightened individuals, punishment of ``taggers''
  was called for. Now, we have come to realize that graffiti is a form
  of populist art.