Re: Editing a file as root

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Editing a file as root
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:17:24 -0500 (EST)

At 14:15 (UTC+0100) on Mon, 15 Dec 2003 Sébastien Kirche said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
=
= > Did you try logging into the server as root from the command line...
= > i.e., without using tramp?
=
= mmh , i am not sure to clearly understand the question.
=
= I can actually log in as root, or su/sudoing from within my user account
= (outside emacs) without any problem.

Yes, this is what I was asking.  I just wanted to make sure that the
problem wasn't with the server.  For example, servers are often set up
to disallow remote logins to the root account.  (From a security
standpoint, this is a very good idea.)

=
= As a test i just tried the same commands from within eshell : i seems that
= sudo works flawlessly, but i found that i lost the prompt when suing.
= That made me think it also hangs, but in fact eshell keeps responsive with
= su, it just stops displaying the prompt. It comes back after an exit to the
= normal user.
=
= ...

Just a blind guess... perhaps tramp isn't recognizing the remote
system's prompt.  In tramp.el is said:  "Recognition of the remote shell
prompt is based on the variables `shell-prompt-pattern' and
`tramp-shell-prompt-pattern' which must be set up correctly."

hth,
ken