Re: German keyboard key bindings?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: German keyboard key bindings?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:03:22 +0000

ulrich@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Ulrich Neumerkel) writes:

> On German keyboards many important Emacs commands are not easily
> accessible.

But that's only until you configure your computer to have a US
layout.  With Emacs' input methods I'm able to type " a to get ä, and
I've never looked back.

For Windows, I recommend AllChars.  It requires you to type the Ctrl
key first, but you can configure it for even easier
Ctrl-plus-two-character bindings, such as Ctrl a a or Ctrl a e for ä.
(For AllChars, press Ctrl, then release it, then type the subsequent
keys.)  That way, you have convenient access to umlauts in all Windows
programs.

For Unices, it's not that easy.  Of course there is the Compose key
(Multi_key? Mode_switch?), but it might not be so easy to reach.  I
wish that the functionality of AllChars would be available on Unices
(under X11), too.

Even better would be to have the functionality of the Emacs input
methods -- hitting " a gives me ä, whereas hitting " SPC gives me ".

Kai