Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: Re: GNU emacs locks files modified with CVS
Date: 17 Dec 2003 18:54:00 +0100

gebser@speakeasy.net writes:

> Because it would take a lot of thinking to hash out which is the correct
> file to put this in, whether the DISPLAY is a resource or not, whether
> this variable should be set for all interactive shells or just for
> logins, and because I don't wish to argue any of this, I'll just say
> that I disagree and believe that .bashrc *is* the proper place for
> setting DISPLAY.  As said at the outset, everyone can set up their
> systems however they wish.

You are free to do a lot of things - to shoot yourself in a foot, if
you like.  I dare to dissent.  From 'man bash':

,-----
| When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell ...  it first reads
| and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists.
| After reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login,
| and ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from
| the first one that exists and is readable.
| When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
| reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.
`-----

Since all non-login shells (used e.g. to run commands in a subshell)
inherit the environment from the common ancestor, the login shell, I
think it is just a loss of time to recompute every time an environment
variable that *cannot* have been changed.  YMMV, of course.

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy              ROT13: ybergv@cq.vasa.vg