Re: Mail Authentication

From: Norbert Kaufmann
Subject: Re: Mail Authentication
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:13:03 GMT

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:

Finally I got emacs' mail working... to a degree.  I can send mail with
it, but only to users on the same machine.  If I try to send outside
(via my ISP), I get nothing.  That is to say, I know that emacs is
connecting to the ISP and handing off the email, but it never gets
delivered.  I suspect that the ISP is simply tossing it out due to lack
of authentication from me.

What does the *trace of SMTP session to foo* buffer contain (where foo is the
value of smtpmail-smtp-server)?

I face the same problem. It seems emacs does not authenticate at all:

220 mail.xxx.net (IMail 7.15 38421-1) NT-ESMTP Server LX1
EHLO machine.host.net
250-mail.xxx.net says hello
250-SIZE 0
250-8BITMIME
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250 EXPN
MAIL FROM: <user@host.net> SIZE=90
250 ok
RCPT TO: <other-user@other.host.net>
550 Relaying denied.
QUIT
221 Goodbye

~$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 21.3.1
~$ uname -rps
FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE i386

Can please anybody give me a hint. Some googleing told me my emacs version is not capable to authenticate at an smtp server - sorry, can't find the message-id. Is this true?

TIA

Norbert