Re: Forcing C++ to reformat

From: exits funnel
Subject: Re: Forcing C++ to reformat
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:26:00 -0800 (PST)

--- Alan Mackenzie <none@example.invalid> wrote:
> exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> wrote on Thu,
> 18 Dec 2003 17:12:57
> -0800 (PST):
>
> > I use emacs to edit C++ source files.  I've
> modified cc mode to format
> > my code as I desire but I' run into a common
> problem.  Let's say I'm
> > typing and I accidently forget to close a brace or
> a paren and then
> > continue on coding.  The following code is (of
> course) formatted
> > correctly according to what I actually typed but
> incorrectly according
> > to what I meant to type :) Okay, so I discover the
> problem (say a
> > missing close paren after an argument list) and go
> back and fix it.
> > How can I force the buffer to be reformatted at
> this point?  I hope
> > this makes sense as I'm not too hip to all the
> emacs lingo yet.  Thanks
> > in advance for any replies.
>
> C-c C-q will reindent the current function.
>
> C-M-q will reindent the contents of a "sexp".
> (i.e., put point on an
> opening brace, and C-M-q will reindent the innards.)
>
> C-M-\ will reindent the current region.  (The
> "region" is the bit of text
> between "point" (the cursor) and the "mark" (where
> you last typed
> C-<space> or started a search, or .......   To find
> where the mark
> currently is, type C-x C-x.  Then type C-x C-x again
> to get back.  Lots
> of things set the mark in Emacs.)
>
> Hint:  In a C++ buffer, type C-h m.  This will give
> you a list of
> C++-specific commands.  Wherever you see ESC
> <something> you can type
> M-<something> instead.
>
> > -exits
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
> Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a
> repeated letter
> (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say,
> "a").

Thanks Alan and Marco!  You're replies were a big
help.  It seems that c-indent-line-or-region is the
function I need.  It turns out that on my system it's
not bound to any key by default.  So, I'm going to
bind it in my .emacs file but as I'm quite new to
EMACS I have a further question.  Is there some way to
get a list of currently unused key-combinations?  In
other words, how do I know what is a good key choice
to bind to?

-exits