Re: How to set umask, owner, and group for newly created file under Win

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to set umask, owner, and group for newly created file under Win2K?
Date: 21 Dec 2003 10:19:18 +0200

> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:43:29 -0800
> From: Subhashis Mohanty <smohanty@mohanty.com>
>
> . emacs-20.7
> . Win2K SP4
> . Open new file via C-x C-f
> . Save file via C-x C-s
>
> If I create a new file through another means (vi under cygwin bash), the
> file perms, user, and group are as they should be (honouring the umask),
> but under emacs the file perms are wrong, turning the execute bit on for
> the user, and changing the username to Administrator.

I'm guessing that your Emacs is not a Cygwin application.  Native
Windows applications cannot change Unix-style user/group/world access
bits, since Windows doesn't support them.  Cygwin applications provide
emulations of that support using available Windows access rights
machinery.

as a Cygwin program.  You could work around this by invoking Cygwin
ports of chown/chmod from Emacs.

Perhaps you should tell why do you need this on Windows.  Then maybe
someone could help you solve your specific problem(s).