Re: Alt + Shift combinations not working in the linux console

From: joao
Subject: Re: Alt + Shift combinations not working in the linux console
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:26:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
What does "C-h l" (that's a letter ell, not a digit one) say?

It's quite possible that your console keyboard is configured so that
Alt+Shift+digit doesn't produce M-digit.  "C-h l" will show what Emacs
gets (or does not get) when you press a key combination.

Same symptoms : under the console, C-h l shows nothing at all when I press Alt + Shift combinations. It's as if I had pressed no key at all.

Under X, I get M-> or M-3, and in the xterm I get ESC > or ESC 3.

Alt alone works fine though. Alt + "<" in the console does M-< and goes to the beginning of the buffer.

So could the problem be outside emacs ? obviously emacs is not getting any key when I press Alt + Shift. I have TERM=linux in the console.

Joao