Starting an inferior process from .emacs

From: Vlad
Subject: Starting an inferior process from .emacs
Date: 9 Jan 2004 01:20:16 -0800

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a shell process at startup, and by simply using
(shell) or (eshell) or whatever in my .emacs file doesn't work.
Actually, the process is started, which I can see by adding a (sit-for
10) afterwards, but it is killed right away...

Couldn't find anything about this in the archives. Could anyone help
me? I am running Emacs 21.3 on Windows 2k.

Thank you in advance. Best regards,
Vlad