Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 11 Jan 2004 07:46:34 +0200

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:26:14 +0200
> From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
>
> How do I make emacs use the X clipboard. It seems to usually ignore it
> (It will sometimes paste from the clipboard, but more often then not it
> will paste from its own kill ring, even when using the middle mouse
> button to paste)

(I believe you mean "X selection", not the clipboard.  Clipboard means
something different in X than it does in MS-Windows.)

Emacs pastes from X only if you didn't issue any command that kills
text since the last X selection was made.  In other words, if you
select text in another application, then immediately paste inside
Emacs, you should get the text you selected in that other application.

This is so because each text you kill in Emacs is automatically put
into the X selection, so if you do that before pasting from X, the
text you kill in Emacs overshadows the previous X selection in another
application.