Re: seting default values

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: seting default values
Date: 11 Jan 2004 08:11:13 +0200

> From: wsgr12@yahoo.com (wsgr12)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 10 Jan 2004 16:41:49 -0800
>
> I would like to know what to write in .emacs in order to

First, a word of advice: don't lump several unrelated issues into a
single message, because that makes it hard to follow the resulting
discussion, as it usually breaks up into several separate sub-threads.
It also makes it harder for you to come up with a meaningful Subject
line, thus some people who read this forum will miss the thread.

> 1. set the default font to be terminal

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "-*-*terminal-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"))

> 2. change the default screen size

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 40))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width . 90))

> 3. change the tab size

(setq tab-width 2)

> 4. autoload some mode

(autoload 'matlab-mode "matlab-mode" "Enter Matlab mode." t)

Note that all of this is documented in the Emacs manual, so please
make a point of looking there first, and ask questions here if you
cannot find anything in the manual or if what you found is somehow
unclear.  That way, you will become familiar with the on-line docs
faster, and you also help making the documentation better when you
report its shortcomings.