Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 12 Jan 2004 21:00:15 -0800

Lee> I do understand how the X selection mechanism works.  I've even
Lee> programmed it in C/Xlib.  That does not stop Emacs from
Lee> misbehaving, though.

Carsten> Well, Lee you are right. I just experienced a lot of trouble
Carsten> copying text from gtk2-emacs to gtk2-mozilla-firebird and vice
Carsten> versa. Either via X selection or CUA-like key
Carsten> strokes. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

This has been discussed here at least twice before :-(

I reported it to RMS, and he said "use gdb on Emacs".  Which I won't, because
recompiling Emacs on my laptop takes more than an hour.

Maybe someone with more resources can follow this path and finally get
this fixed?

Carsten> a good idea making emacs compatible to the gtk2 toolkit, and
Carsten> the gnome desktop environment.

I don't get the connection here (how it would solve the problem), and
anyway if you mean make gtk2 (and _especially_ gnome) a dependency of
Emacs, I am most definitely against.

--
Nothing can be explained to a stone.
Or to a stoned person, either.