Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: Jens Schmidt
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 13 Jan 2004 03:23:42 -0800

Carsten Weinberg <cweinberg@firemail.de> writes:

> > I  do understand  how  the  X selection  mechanism  works.  I've  even
> > programmed it in  C/Xlib.  That does not stop  Emacs from misbehaving,
> > though.
>
> Well, Lee you are right.

Same problems on my side: Mostly working on VNC-based X servers, a
paste into Emacs sometimes works, sometimes not.  I have isolated
the problems a little bit, though.  Here is the exact scenario and
my findings:

One Emacs is 21.1.1 NT Emacs, the other is 21.1.1 on Solaris
running in a VNC session on NT.  Window manager of the VNC
session is fvwm2.  Both Emacsen started with --no-init-file
--no-site-file.  The third window around is an xterm also running
in the VNC session (most conveniently with a running cat >
/dev/null).  All text pasted around is ASCII only.

1. Paste from Solaris Emacs into NT Emacs or xterm always works
   fine.

2. Pasting between NT Emacs and xterm always works fine in both
   directions.

3. After a select in Solaris Emacs and a paste into NT Emacs, a
   paste into Solaris Emacs (regardless whether from xterm or NT
   Emacs) does not work any more.

4. After a select in Solaris Emacs, paste into xterm, immediate
   new select in xterm and paste back into Solaris Emacs, a paste
   into Solaris Emacs (regardless whether from xterm or NT
   Emacs) works again.

5. Setting `x-select-enable-clipboard' to t in Solaris Emacs
   disables the workaround under 4.

Hope that helps.  Would be interesting to know if the work-around
works for the other posters, too.  Then this could be almost
called a bug report, I guess.