Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 14 Jan 2004 08:37:26 +0200

> From: LEE Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:06:58 +0100
>
>     Ian> I reported it to RMS, and he said "use gdb on Emacs".  Which
>     Ian> I won't, because recompiling Emacs on my laptop takes more
>     Ian> than an hour.
>
> But how  would that help, if you're  not a C programmer  or you're not
> familiar with  Xlib, so that  you have no  idea of where to  put break
> points?

You can get help debugging Emacs on emacs-devel list.  The file
etc/DEBUG, which is a part of the distribution, should get you
started.

The code in Emacs that deals with X selections is in xselect.c.

> (BTW, it'd be  fun to run gdb under  Emacs, debugging another instance
> of Emacs.  I  hope one wouldn't be confused by  the two Emacses.  (-fg
> and -bg suddenly becomes invaluable!)

I've done that many times.  IMHO, there's no confusion because one
Emacs is in the GUD mode, which has some special features in its
display.

> I'm not sure if ltrace can show the Xlib calls, though.

I doubt that.  And debugging with ltrace or similar tools is not a
very efficient method, anyway, compared to stepping with GDB thru the
source code.  IMHO, ltrace is for the software to which you don't have
the sources.