Latin-1 under MacOS

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Latin-1 under MacOS
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:11:56 +0100

I have spent a couple of hours trying to get Emacs on my Mac (the Carbon
build) display Latin-1 correctly, with no luck.

The FAQ recommends (if I interpret it correctly) to add

(create-fontset-from-fontset-spec
"-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--9-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-monaco,ascii:-apple-m
onaco-medium-r-normal--9-90-75-75-m-90-mac-roman,latin-iso8859-1:-apple-m
onaco-medium-r-normal--9-90-75-75-m-90-mac-roman")

(set-frame-font
"-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--9-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-monaco")

to .emacs. That doesn't do anything on my system. Everything looks like
before (the font is larger than 9 point) and my German and French
accented characters (in Latin-1 encoded files copied over from a Linux
machine) look messy as before. I also tried

  (set-frame-font "fontset-monaco")

(no effect either) and

  (set-frame-font 'fontset-monaco)

(puts Emacs into a strange meditation state that only killing seems to
be able to terminate).

The other suggestion is using the GNU intlfonts. The promised link isn't
there, but I found the generic tar archive plus some add-on files to
install them under MacOS 8/9 using a tool called MPW that I have never
heard of. I tried the standard Unix installation, specifying
/Library/Fonts as the destination. By itself that does nothing either, I
suppose I also need something for my .emacs, but I don't have the
slightest idea what that should be.

I found a couple of other hints on the Web, but none of them was any
more successful.

Any more suggestions? Working .emacs files are particularly welcome.

Konrad (slightly frustrated)