Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 15 Jan 2004 22:56:28 +0100

    Kester> Well I'm using fvwm2 and emacs does not receive a select n
    Kester> paste from applications like xterms sometimes -

And for a  few times when that happens, I  try to select&paste between
all other  X clients, including  the affected xterm.  Sometimes,  I do
that with clients  running from several remote machines.   All of them
select&paste  among themselves  happily.  However,  whenever I  try to
paste from  any of them into  emacs, emacs doesn't do  it as expected.
It  seems  to  me  that  emacs  doesn't  want  to  take  part  in  the
party... until I apply that magic workaround.

    Kester> something is definitely broken. It seems to just keep what
    Kester> was uppermost in the kill ring and yanks that.

Not  sure.  I guess  Emacs is  in some  situations unable  to properly
handle the X11 event which informs  it that it has lost the selection.
So, it still believes it owns the selection (which is kept as the last
item in  the kill ring).  A  paste thus pastes directly  from the kill
ring, not from the X selection.

There is another problem with  Emacs and X.  I can't remember anymore,
as I've  already given  up and  found some way  to work  around.  It's
about how Emacs reads  and interpret the user's application resources.
When a  resource is specified in  mulitple places, or  when a resource
name is matched by multiple resource entries specified with wildcards,
Emacs takens the wrong one.  Again, I'm too lazy to file a bug report.

(Don't take  me wrong.  I did file  bug reports a few  times for other
bugs.  I was so impressed that RMS  responded me in a few hours with a
patch that really fixed the bug!)

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de