Re: emacs -nw and accented characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs -nw and accented characters
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:11:04 +0200

> From: joelvsmith@earthlink.net (Joel Smith)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 18 Jan 2004 06:56:47 -0800
>
> I created two files.  The first with accented characters saved using
> the latin-1 coding system.  the other with the same text but under the
> default, utf-8.

Sorry, I'm confused: how did utf-8 enter this equation?  If it is
relevant to this discussion, please tell in what way; until now, only
latin-1 seemed to be relevant.  Are you saying that Emacs sends utf-8
encoded characters to aterm?

Anyway, it's probably hight time to look at the codes sent by Emacs.
Please use the "M-x open-termscript RET" command to cause Emacs to
write all terminal output to a file as well as to the screen.  Please
do that in xterma and in aterm with the same text that includes
accented characters, and then tell what codes you see in the two
termscript files created like that (the Unix command "od -c FILE" will
show the character codes stored in the named FILE).

Also, please type "M-x describe-language-environment RET" in an Emacs
running with the -nw switch in xterm and in aterm, and post here what
Emacs says about each of these two cases.