Re: helpex.el 0.2 --- useful extensions for the C-h prefix

From: Michael Schierl
Subject: Re: helpex.el 0.2 --- useful extensions for the C-h prefix
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:36:33 +0100

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> (defun helpex-find-library (library)
>
>Emacs-CVS has `find-library' which does the same (with completion and all).

Nice. I don't have Emacs CVS ;)

Does that break helpex in any way on Emacs-CVS or do you just don't
like having redundant code loaded?

>> (defun helpex-locate-library (library)
>>   "Show the precise file name of Emacs library LIBRARY.
>> This command uses `locate-library', so see there for more
>> information.  The only difference is that it uses completion when
>> called interactively."
>
>In Emacs-CVS, locate-library does completion as well.

Nicer.

Is there a good solution for the Info-goto-node "problem" as well?
(And, if not, does Info-goto-node work properly w/
partial-completion-mode now? ATM I have quite a dirty hack in my
.emacs for that problem)

IOW: If you have an info file called "foo" with a node "Bar Baz" (e.g.
"(elisp)Regular Expressions"), can you type

C-h i g (foo)Bar SPC Baz RET

while p-c-m is enabled, *without* making Emacs barf about no
completion when hitting SPC?

>I think (fboundp 'locate-file-completion) is a good way to tell whether to
>use your own code or the built-in one (I think the built-in's completion is
>slightly better because it is more complete (e.g. works when the user has
>entered /foo/bar/baz<TAB>) and it is "on-the-fly" (i.e. it only searches the
>file-system when you press TAB rather than when you call locate-library)).

Since you don't have to bind my functions to any key, it should not
make any problems to the "minority" using CVS versions, does it? Or
are the key bindings used by helpex (C-h L, C-h o) used by CVS emacs
by default as well?

BTW: If someone uses CVS, he should be able to rebind the keys to the
"origininal" functions himself...

Michael
--
"New" PGP Key! User ID: Michael Schierl <schierlm@gmx.de>
Key ID: 0x58B48CDD    Size: 2048    Created: 26.03.2002