Re: helpex.el 0.2 --- useful extensions for the C-h prefix

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: helpex.el 0.2 --- useful extensions for the C-h prefix
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:44:16 GMT

>>> (defun helpex-find-library (library)
>> Emacs-CVS has `find-library' which does the same (with completion and all).
> Nice. I don't have Emacs CVS ;)

I assumed that much.  Just letting you know.

> Does that break helpex in any way on Emacs-CVS or do you just don't
> like having redundant code loaded?

It doesn't break anything, but you might want to only use your definition if
the underlying Emacs does not offer its own (unless yours has some extra
feature, of course).

> Is there a good solution for the Info-goto-node "problem" as well?

IIRC, the goto-node code in CVS does completion within the parenthesese,
but it does not do completion of the node name afterwards (this requires
looking inside the Info file and I didn't bother writing it up).

> IOW: If you have an info file called "foo" with a node "Bar Baz" (e.g.
> "(elisp)Regular Expressions"), can you type

> C-h i g (foo)Bar SPC Baz RET

> while p-c-m is enabled, *without* making Emacs barf about no
> completion when hitting SPC?

I haven't used p-c-m in a while and I use C-a SPC to insert a space, so
I wouldn't know.  If it works without p-c-m, then it's a bug in p-c-m,
otherwise it's a misfeature.

>> I think (fboundp 'locate-file-completion) is a good way to tell whether to
>> use your own code or the built-in one (I think the built-in's completion is
>> slightly better because it is more complete (e.g. works when the user has
>> entered /foo/bar/baz<TAB>) and it is "on-the-fly" (i.e. it only searches the
>> file-system when you press TAB rather than when you call locate-library)).

> Since you don't have to bind my functions to any key, it should not
> make any problems to the "minority" using CVS versions, does it? Or
> are the key bindings used by helpex (C-h L, C-h o) used by CVS emacs
> by default as well?

Oh, no, as I said, there's no problem whatsoever.  I was just advocating my
own code, hoping you'd try it out and improve it further rather than just
replicate it in your own corner with just slightly different limitations.

        Stefan