Emacs C source, suggested reading order

From: joao
Subject: Emacs C source, suggested reading order
Date: 24 Jan 2004 00:40:18 +0100

Hi all,

I wanted to write some emacs lisp code to display the contents of registers,
where I've saved several window configurations. I was thinking of a list of
registers identified by a, b, c, ..., with, for each one, the names of the
buffers/files displayed in each window.

Unfortunately the Elisp Manual states clearly that

       Primitives to look inside of window configurations would
    make sense, but none are implemented.  It is not clear they
    are useful enough to be worth implementing.

So I guess it's time to start reading that Emacs C source code, so I can add
the primitive I need. I've found the window config functions in window.c, but
obviously there's a lot to understand in this (big) source.

Does anyone have a suggested reading order in all these C source files ? are
there some useful comments buried inside any particular file ? things like
description/explanation of how lisp objects/functions are implemented in C ? or
the interface between lisp and C ?

Suggestions welcome. Otherwise I'll start with emacs.c :-)

Thx,
Joao

--
João Moreira de Sá Coutinho