Re: What is the _essential_ difference between lazy-lock and jit-lock?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: What is the _essential_ difference between lazy-lock and jit-lock?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:34:59 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote on Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:42:53 +0200:
>> From: Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>

>> Surely not - Emacs _HUNG_ with stealth fontification, accepting no
>> keypresses (apart from a double C-g), and remained in this state
>> overnight (> 8 hours).

> I think these problems were solved in the meantime (IIRC, they were due
> to bad interaction between JIT lock and font-lock definitions for some
> modes).

Any chance of a revision number (presumably of jit-lock.el) where this
was fixed?

> Please try again and see if you still have such problems.

I've set font-lock-support-mode back to jit-, and I've been trying all
evening ;-)  With Emacs 21.1, I've had my Emacs lock up just once.
the problem.  Not yet.  I'll try loading a few more buffers to see if
that makes things worse.

[ .... ]

>> Perhaps what is wanted is a command like `(font-lock-tune-font-lock
>> 'low-powered-workstation)' by which users could select from amongst
>> several pre-defined tunings, somewhat analogous to CC Mode's
>> `c-set-style'.

> I have a better idea of a user interface:

>         (font-lock-tune-font-lock 'my-specific-preferences)
> or
>       (font-lock-tune-font-lock 'my-favorite-computer)

> Seriously, though: that's the first time I hear an Emacs veteran
> complain about too many customization options.  Surely, you should
> know that they all exist for a good purpose.

I wasn't meaning to suggest that they should be removed.  Merely that
they should be supplemented with a more handy higher level tool, leaving
the individual options available for specific needs/wants.

> Perhaps you want to say that their documentation needs some work--that
> is something I could understand.

That too.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)