Re: C-x v g going further back in time?

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: C-x v g going further back in time?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:38:35 -0500

>> In case you didn't notice it on the emacs-devel mailing list,
>> something similar to the first of your two wishes has now been
>> implemented in CVS emacs, using the 'L' and 'D' keys for log and diff,
>> respectively.
>
> Yes, this is becoming really neat.  And since this is like a magic lantern,
> I'll just make another wish: that the new `L' key only calls `cvs log' if
> the *vc* buffer doesn't already contain the proper log info: this way you
> can repeatedly do `L' without each time having to wait the minute-or-so it
> takes to get the complete log info.

My first cut at your feature request didn't go so well; it's tough for
two reasons:

1) the *vc* buffer is used both for 'C-x v l' and also when you do
   'C-x v v' to commit a file, so it might contain either info that
   your commit was successful, or the actual log info...would it be OK
   to change 'C-x v l' to write to something other than the *vc*
   buffer, say the *vc-commit-history* buffer?

2) cache coherency problem.  What if the log info is updated b/c of
   new commits?  Do you always want the outdated log info?

Any comments on these issues?  Thanks,
--
Benjamin