Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Force Reread of "local variables:"
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:23:48 +0100

tennis_smith@yahoo.com (Tennis Smith) writes:

> Anyone have code that will force a re-read of a "local variables:"
> sections in a file?
>
> I have several files with this sort of data appended at the bottom:
>
> #
> # ;;; Local Variables: ***
> # ;;; mode: tcl ***
> # ;;; project: SUMCHK ***
> # ;;; End: ***
>
> If I change the "project" var in the file, is there a way to have
> emacs reread this?

If your auto-mode detection is set up correctly and if you don't have
important buffer-local variables other than those in the “Local
Variables” section, you can just do M-x normal-mode RET.

I mention these two “ifs” above, because as far as buffer variables
are concerned this has basically the same effect as killing the buffer
and re-visiting it.

Btw, you probably know this, but if ‘#’ is the comment character of
your language, you can just write:

# Local Variables:
# mode: tcl
# project: SUMCHK