Re: Aspell and .emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Aspell and .emacs
Date: 03 Feb 2004 07:49:50 +0200

> From: "Chris Swoyer" <fswoyer@cox.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:24:51 -0600
> Sender: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+eliz=elta.co.il@gnu.org
>
> 'I've  moved to a mac (OS 10.3.2) and have installed aspell (which I
> only use for Emacs, and usually LaTeXing). I have
>

> (setq ispell-program-name
> "/Library/PreferencePanes/Spelling.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/cocoAspell")
>
>      (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
>
> in my .emacs, which works fine, but I'd like to be able to check
> word by word, region by region, easily add words to the dictionary
> while spell checking (and from my old ispell_words file). Is there
> a way to get some counterpart of this (from my _emacs under
> Windows) to work (obviously it will need path changes, but that
> hasn't been enough):

I think, once you've told Emacs where to find the speller program via
ispell-program-name, the other ispell-* commands should just work.
ispell-word, for example, already has a standard Emacs binding, M-$,
so just try it and see if it does what you want.  As for the other
spelling commands, all you need is to bind them to keys with
define-key.

> (autoload 'ispell-word "ispell4"

This is something you should _not_ do: ispell4 is a very old
interface to an old version of Ispell program.  You simply no longer
need all these autoload lines, Emacs does that automatically.