Re: emacs 21.3 and font-lock-faces

From: nospam55
Subject: Re: emacs 21.3 and font-lock-faces
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:59:01 +0100

below is some rough material, hope may help

################

One of the 1st thing to configure in emacs are the colors for the various kinds
of text. Finding settings that are good for your eyes is likely to depend also
on the different monitors.

eg  I didn't feel good with the orange comments in the perl and shell
modes on my  LG Flatron F900P  monitor .  Saying

    M-x list-faces-display

helped me to discover that  font-lock-comment-face  was set to  orangered  :
looking 'round  .emacs  I found

    (set-background-color "darkslategray")
      [edots]
    (custom-set-faces
        ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
      [edots]
     '(font-lock-comment-face ((t (:foreground "orangered"))))
      [edots]
    )

Then I looked for a color better than  orangered  ; with

   M-x list-colors-display ; for a display of all the color names and how they
look like

I could experience the available hundreds of colors on my darkslategray
background ; I
picked  LemonChiffon4  (making comments looking quite dimmed, which is good for
people
who mess their programs with lots of out-commended debris code)
and  put it in place of  orangered  in the .emacs lines above
(by naive editing iof accessing via customization buffer, a dirty way I don't
suggest
to choose ;-) - wonderful !