Re: Emacs on Aix questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs on Aix questions
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:42:14 GMT

> 1. The DEL key won't erase from the point position. It acts like
> BACKSPACE. (I don't have this problem in terminal mode).

Take a look at normal-erase-is-backspace-mode.
If you know how Emacs could automatically detect this case on AIX, please
send us patch.

> 2. C-space will start setting a mark, but moving the cursor to select
> a range leads to nothing. Like the MARK SET is disabling soon after.

Take a look at transient-mark-mode.

> 1. The mode line disapears from time to time (often when paging up and
> down) like its not refreshed. Is it possible to fix that?

This is probably a slight disgreement betwen your terminal and its
description in the terminfo/termcap database (although it might also be
a bug in Emacs, of course).  So we need much more info about the terminal
you're using, the setting of your TERM envvar, and maybe also the
termcap/terminfo of that TERM setting.

> 1. Is is possible to tell emacs not to use backup and temporary files? I
> hate listing a directory filled with #file and file~ files, and I don't
> really need to backup this way. Can I get rid of that feature easily?

For auto-save files (i.e. #..#), see auto-save-default.
For backup files, see make-backup-files.
I hate my dirs to get dirty, so I turned off make-backup-files, but I still
kept auto-save-default because those files disappear as soon as you save
your buffer, so they are rare.

        Stefan