bbdb and Emacs - can't get it to work.

From: Richard Wellum
Subject: bbdb and Emacs - can't get it to work.
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:07:42 -0800

Hi,

I am using Emacs 21.2.2, Gnus 5.10.6 and bbdb-2.34.

I am new to using Gnus to read email, and am just trying to set up bbdb
to do basic stuff. In my .gnus I have:

(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)

And in my .emacs:

(require 'bbdb)
;;If you don't live in Northern America, you should disable the
;;syntax check for telephone numbers by saying
;(setq bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil)
;;Tell bbdb about your email address:
(setq bbdb-user-mail-names
      (regexp-opt '("mymail"
                    "Your.other@mail.there.bla")))
;;cycling while completing email addresses
(setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
;;No popup-buffers
(setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)

This is all according to the Gnus Faq.

I should point out that I have no existing bbdb database lying around.

Problems:

1. According to the FAQ I should be able to do: "M-x bbdb RET RET" to
   open a bbdb buffer showing all entries. But this doesn't work - it
   instead asks me for a regexp for a general search - and if I add
   anything I get the following error:

bbdb: Invalid function: #<subr save-current-buffer>

2. From within Gnus - if I do M-tab for name completion I get the
   following error:

bbdb-records: Invalid function: (macro . #[(buffer &rest body)
"D     BB" [buffer body save-current-buffer set-buffer] 3
1378630])

3. Ok - so now I try to quit Gnus:

I get quoted to save the bbdb? So if I enter a file I get the same error
as before:

bbdb-save-db: Invalid function: (macro . #[(buffer &rest body)
"D     BB" [buffer body save-current-buffer set-buffer] 3
1378630])

And basically I get that error repeated if I ty to quit Gnus regardless.

4.And the file I entered, when requested, invariably contains a text copy
of my Gnus entries looking something like:

      11: nnml:Send-Mail
       4: nnml:mail.misc
      88: gnu.emacs.help
      47: comp.emacs
       4: nndraft:drafts

Sorry for the long verbose email - something I am doing is very wrong,
any ideas anyone?

Thanks,