How can I determine what the default font it?

From: exits funnel
Subject: How can I determine what the default font it?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:06:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I've just upgraded to emacs 21.3.1 from emacs 19.7(?)
running on RedHat Linux.  It works great but for one
immediate problem.  The default font size is much
smaller and I can barely read it.  I've done a bit of
research (I'm pretty new to Linux and well as emacs)
on changing the font size but I have a few quick
questions.  First of all it seems I can do this either
by modifying my .emacs file or by modifying
.Xdefaults.  Which approach is better?  I'm assuming
if I change .Xdefaults this will affect other programs
besides emacs.  My other question is how can I find
out what font emacs is currently displaying?  Thanks
in advance for any replies.

-exits