navigating in dired

From: Fabian Braennstroem
Subject: navigating in dired
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:51:17 +0000

Hello,

I start using 'dired' instead of the 'Midnight-Commander' and now, I am looking
for some feature 'mc' has.
Right now, my biggest problem is to navigate in a directory with a lot of
subdirectories and files. Let's say I want to got to the file 'main' in that
directory. In 'mc' I could type 'm' and the cursor jumps to the first word
beginning with 'm'. How can I jump to this file quickly? Maybe, anybody has a
function for that!?

The next thing is, I would like to have a hotlist/bookmarks, so that I can jump
easy to certain directories. Does that exist?

And for now the last question :-)
Is it somehow possible to change to the 'root'-user during the dired-session?
So you don't have to open two Emacs-Windows.

Aeh sorry, one more question.
Does anybody use the mc-mode for dired?

Greetings!

--