Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!
Date: 26 Feb 2004 20:28:47 +0100

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> writes:

> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > From: Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com>
> > Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:50:25 +0100
> >
> > > And on top of that, I couldn't imagine that someone nowadays
> > > would use Emacs without global-font-lock-mode turned on.
> >
> > I agree.  Which begs the question: Why on earth is it turned _off_
> > by default?
>
> Conservatism.  It's a matter of time.

Ok, we should tackle this, I think.  It is something that beginners
complain about all the time, and that the more intelligent persons
will be able to turn off by just clicking the first entry in the
"Options" menu.

How about if we have a command-line option -bw (and probably also -wb
since many vision-impaired people prefer white on black) that will,
among other things, turn off font-locking?  Then the initial problem
for vision-impaired people will be at least possible to solve by
reading the man page prior to starting Emacs.