Re: How to modify binary file in emacs/vi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to modify binary file in emacs/vi
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:29:53 +0200

> From: "Datta Patil" <dattatraya.patil@in.bosch.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:14:52 +0530
>
> Now i want to change to :
> 1ad3 89f0 0ba2      original file
> 2bd3 89f0 0ba2      new file(say)
> but when i type 2 ...it takes its asciii value & changes two bytes.What i
> want is when i press 2 , its hexadecimal value(i.e. 2) insted of ascii value
> should appear.
>
> Is there any method to change one-nible value in emacs or vi .

In the Hexl buffer, type "C-h m".  Emacs will pop up a window that
describes the various features of the Hexl mode, including several
methods of modifying bytes and nibbles of the original file.  "C-M-x"
seems to be the command that you are looking for, but perhaps
something else is more convenient, so I suggest to read the whole text
displayed by "C-h m".