Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Newbie: Interactive goto-line ?!
Date: 27 Feb 2004 17:58:41 +0100

> > I have it turned off.  I use Emacs mostly for TeX programming, and
> > there its competence in analysing complex TeX documents is not
> > convincing (complex TeX documents can hardly be tackled by
> > anything but TeX, since syntax categories in this macro language
> > change on the fly).
>
> > I am exposed to large amounts of text all the time.  The contrast
> > on screen is already much lower than on paper, I need not lower it
> > more artificially.
>
> I have changed most of my font-lock faces to be black-on-white (my
> default scheme) and I use bold & italics to distinguish things.

If one happens to have sane bold and italic fonts, probably not the
worst idea.

An emacs -mc option (monochrome) as mentioned here could do this as
well instead of switching font locking off altogether.  I think that
such a setting could get me to live with font lock.

> > In a typical TeX macro document, more than half of the important
> > text consists of comments.
>
> Have you tried my new doctex-mode ?  It's not using AUCTeX so it's
> probably no good for you, but you might like the idea.

The thing in CVS?  That merely fiddles with fontlock, right?

> I don't hack on such docs enough to have a good feel for what would
> be really useful, tho.  The idea is just to try and turn those "code
> in comment" back into non-comments.

We (actually, mostly Ralf Angeli) currently are working on filling and
insertion and other stuff in AUCTeX that will accept comments as a
separate syntax domain with regard to LaTeX command insertion and
indentation.  Separate branch named new-fill, currently.  Very
impressive.

We have not yet taken a look at the related font lock issue, however.

> Hmm... I do have comments in a greyish color to make them less
> visible, but then I try to avoid having important stuff in comments.

Well, _if_ it is not important then I would not be writing a comment
in the first place!  Far too lazy for that.