Re: German umlaut problems after moving from Windows to Linux

From: Thomas Gehrlein
Subject: Re: German umlaut problems after moving from Windows to Linux
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:05:26 +0100

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Thomas Gehrlein <thomas.gehrlein@t-online.de> writes:
>
>> I moved my home directory from a Windows to a Linux box.  Now I'm getting
>> problems with umlauts in my .diary file.
>
> You didn't explain what the actual problem is -- just that you get
> different encodings for umlauts.  _Why_ is that a problem?

The word "März" in my .diary file is different from the word "März" in
calendar-month-name-array.  As a result, calendar does not understand diary
entries with the word "Mär" (like in "12 Mär 2004") anymore.

I use calendar and diary for all my appointments.  If I don't see my
appointments for March anymore, I will be in trouble ...

Anyway, it was all my fault.

Everything works fine after commenting out the following lines in my .emacs:

(set-language-environment "Latin-1")    ;funktioniert wohl für die meisten
                                        ;europäischen sprachen

;; problems with latin-9 on Windows
(define-coding-system-alias 'latin-9 'latin-1)
(define-coding-system-alias 'iso-8859-15 'latin-1)

I don't remember exactly, why I added the last two lines.  I think it had to do
with Gnus.

Thanks for your reply.