A couple rudimentary elisp questions

From: exits funnel
Subject: A couple rudimentary elisp questions
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:55:40 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm pretty new to emacs and I've decided it's time to
take a crack at some simple lisp.  I have a couple
silly questions:

1) Is there no way to specify multi-line comments?  I
read the 'comments' section in the 'Emacs Lisp
Reference Manual' and it seems to indicate not, but it
seems kind of hard to believe.  I'm trying to write a
custom c-style and it would be helpful if I could
comment/uncomment large chunks of my .emacs file and
reload it so I could try to figure out what's going
on.  If there really are no multi line comments is
there any tricks for kludging it?

2)  I see alot of lists of the form (foo . bar).  What
does the dot specify?

Thanks in advance for answering what must seem like
foolish questions.

-exits