Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: videoxfer
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:50:56 GMT

On 2004-03-01, Jussi Piitulainen <jpiitula@ling.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> True.  You _can_ still enter many accented latin1-specific
>> characters with the option key even if option is bound to meta.  For
>> instance I can use opt-u in the usual mac way to enter ü, ö etc.  In
>
> Usually M-u is bound to upcase-word. If you simply set option to be
> meta, that is what you get.

In the carbon emacs with option bound to meta, option-u is both M-u
(upcase-word) and the umlaut prefix character.  If I type opt-u u I
insert the u-umlaut character into the buffer.  If I typed opt-u
opt-u, I upcase the word (this doubling is the price paid for the
convenience of using the familiar mac key gestures).  It's not a
matter of emacs key bindings afaik -- at that level M-u is
upcase-word, as usual. I'm pretty sure the handling of prefix
characters like option-u is handled earlier than that.