Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:01:41 -0600

>> Actually, under OS X 10.3.2, built from CVS using Andrew Choi's
>> patches (./configure --without-aqua --with-x)
>
> I assume you mean Emacs's CVS repository, but I don' know what
> patches you're referring to.

Andrew Choi committed patches to Savannah for Emacs to be optionally
built as a Carbon application for Mac OS X quite some time ago, and
was the maintainer of this until November.  Without these patches,
AFAIK, Emacs can't be built for Carbon and the Aqua interface.

>> neither the Cmd key nor the Alt key function as Meta.  Only the Esc
>> key is available as Meta.  I *think* the problem is aactually in
>> Apple's X11; Cmd or Alt worked as Meta under XDarwin and OroborOSX
>> in OS X 10.1.5.  In fact, Cmd-w results in trying to exit Emacs and
>> getting dialog boxes about saving buffers and newsrc-dribble.
>
> Under X11 with OS X 10.3.2 my Apple key is mapped to Meta by
> default.  This is completely independent of Emacs, of course, and
> can simply be checked with `xev'.  Are you sure your problems aren't
> due to some xmodmap fiddling?

I've never touched xmodmap.  It's all vanilla in this regard.

>> had the mouse wheel work under Aqua builds (and again I think this
>> is an Apple problem; the scroll wheel doesn't work in other X11
>> windows either).
>
> My wheel works fine under X11 on OS X 10.3.2, as does the
> fn+touchpad trick provided by the `ucontrol' utility.  Maybe I'm
> just lucky,

Perhaps a hardware issue?  I'm running this on a Rev B iMac.