Re: customize messing up .emacs symlink?

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: Re: customize messing up .emacs symlink?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:03:52 +0000

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:00:51 -0500, Ed L Cashin wrote:

> Hi.  I have a .emacs file under version control and symlinked into my
> home directory.  Every once in a while, emacs replaces my symlink and
> creates a regular file.
>
> Just now I sent some usenet news and saw a message flash by:
>
>   Wrote /home/ecashin/.emacs
>   Sending news via news.gmane.org using nntp...
>   Opening nnimap server on 127.0.0.1...
>
> The difference between the old .emacs and the impostor is shown
> below.  It leads me to suspect that the customize code of the two
> emacs versions I use are competing.

Put your (two) customizations in (two) separate filesto .emacs. I don't
know which two versions of emacs you use. But assuming its Xemacs vs.
Emacs, put at the end of your .emacs something like (excuse my probably
crappy and very-unlisp-like lisp):

(if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
    (load "~/.xemacs.customize.el")
  (load "~/.emacs.customize.el"))

Each separate customize file will need to have a customization for
custom-file in it:

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
  [...]
  '(custom-file "<thisfilename>")
  [...]

Presumably you don't want to keep your customizations in CVS, or do you?

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com