Re: customize messing up .emacs symlink?

From: Ed L Cashin
Subject: Re: customize messing up .emacs symlink?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:06:46 -0500

"D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:

> Ahhh. I'd misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you were running two
> different emacsen on the same box, but rather the problem seems to be with
> two identical emacsen on different boxes.

Re-reading my original post, I now realize that I was not at all clear
about that.  I use svn to keep track of some files that are the same
across all the machines I use.  My .emacs file is one such file.

>> To me it seems wrong for the default behavior of customize to be like
>> this, replacing a symlinked .emacs file with a modified regular file.
>
> Yes, I'd agree, although I suppose it depends on what the symlink is to --
> is it something very exotic, like a pointer via a virtual-file-system
> directly into your version constrol repository? (Perhaps that's not
> possible. Perhaps it is possible and not at all exotic.)

No, it points to a regular file in a working copy of a directory in
the repository.

>> Does anyone know if this feature has been discussed to death already,
>> or would it be good to submit a bug report?
>
> I haven't seen it mentioned before, and I lurk here a lot, and regular
> browse the web archive of the developers' list.

I'd say it's a bug, but it's kind of a trivial matter, and if it isn't
bothering others, I'll just work around it.

>>> But assuming its Xemacs vs.
>>> Emacs, put at the end of your .emacs something like (excuse my probably
>>> crappy and very-unlisp-like lisp):
>>>
>>> (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
>>>     (load "~/.xemacs.customize.el")
>>>   (load "~/.emacs.customize.el"))
>>
>> Looks like a good solution for me.

Something even more simple is the .emacs file below, a regular file on
both machines, changable by customize without problem:

  ;;;; .emacs
  (load "~/svnfiles/homedir/.emacs")

--
--Ed L Cashin     PGP public key: http://noserose.net/e/pgp/