Re: C-j is not doing as it is being told

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: C-j is not doing as it is being told
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:28:04 +0000

Ketil Karstad <ketil.karstad@physics.unige.ch> wrote on Wed, 03 Mar 2004
18:53:40 +0100:

You might win friends by posting in plain text format.  The MIME stuff
made your post ~5 times bigger, without adding any content.

> Hi

> I wanted to remap some key combinations, including C-j. I use
> global-unset-key followed by global-set-key for each key combo and it
> works fine most of the time apart from when emacs enters Latex-mode
> where C-j reverts to its default behavoir and ignores my remapping.
> Any suggestion what is causing this and what I can do to stop it?

Latex Mode binds C-j in its local keymap.  Anything in a local keymap
will override global bindings.

First of all, are you _sure_ you want to change this binding?  I don't
use Latex Mode, but looking in its manual (C-h C-k C-j) find that C-j is
bound to `tex-terminate-paragraph', which does useful things like
checking for unbalanced braces, and so on.

Assuming you really are sure, the thing to do is to remove C-j from the
Latex Mode keymap.  Try this in your .emacs (untested):

(eval-after-load "tex-mode"
  '(define-key tex-mode-map "\C-j" nil))

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)